Ararat Landcare Group formed in 1999 and has an urban/rural residential focus. Activities of this small, but committed group include:
- protection of remnant vegetation especially where extensive and continuous areas remain reasonably intact;
- control of invasive weed species on public land, particularly where weeds impact on native groundcover species e.g. orchids, grasses, lilies and other herbaceous plants;
- planting of indigenous trees and shrubs to provide habitat and passage for native birds, animals, reptiles and insects;
- caring for natural waterways within the city, especially Cemetery Creek;
- promoting the benefits of a healthy, viable environment and educating the community, especially young people in protecting and caring for it.
Members of the group work hard to protect the urban environment of Ararat. They meet monthly and organise regular working bees throughout the year. New members are always welcome! Contact facilitator Ayesha Burdett for more information.